Monday, September 27, 2010

Diary of a Clown/I'm Chicken in the laudromat

I’m just a little Chicken performing at the Laundromat

Back in the mid nineties, I was on my way to do a singing Chicken Gram. My Chicken costume was packed in a Duffle Bag on my shoulder. I passed by a Laundromat in the Chelsea section of Manhattan and noticed a stage set up right next to the window with what looked like someone on it doing stand up comedy amidst a laughing audience of about twenty people. At the same time, other people were still doing their Laundry. I, at the time being an aspiring stand up comic myself, walked in. One of my stand up comic friends, Crazy A, was there getting ready to perform her Human Vacuum Cleaner act….don’t ask! I told her where I was headed. She excitedly told me to come back after my singing telegram, and she’ll introduce me to the MC who also books comedy acts for one of the big comedy clubs here in the city.

After doing my Telegram, I went back to the same Laundromat, and Crazy A introduced me to the MC who bares a very close resemblance to the heavyset woman who is now on “The View”. A of course told her about my Chicken costume, which I quickly showed her along with telling her about my background in Stand up Comedy. She seemed to get a big kick out of it and told me to come back the following week with my Chicken costume.

That whole week prior to my Laundromat Debut, all of my spare time was spent on collecting chicken jokes. Although I was no stranger to doing stand up comedy, this would be a whole different type of routine. I finally came up with enough chicken jokes and came up with a routine that I was excited to try out.

The big night arrived, and I Brought my friend May with me. As planned, on the way to the Laundromat, I had May stand by the dryer that was closest to the stage as I changed into my Chicken Costume and snuck into the Dryer. When the MC announced “The Chicken Lady”, I loudly clucked my way out of the Dryer while making my way onto the stage. To my surprise, the MC never left the stage where she did nothing but take Pot Shots at me! I finally managed to grab the Microphone out of her hands, and not only managed to do some of my Foul jokes, but take a few pot shots at her as well. I used my favorite Heckler comment to a woman which is to stare at her face and say, “They’re doing great things with Electrolysis these days, you really should look into it”! I got a few more good ones in as well. Needless to say, I was never asked back to perform, but generated the most amounts of laughs next to Crazy A that night. Is that what they mean by Clean Humor?...probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment