Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Diary of a Clown/ Singing for the Dead

Singing to the dead

One thing I love and hate about what I do, is that I never know where my jobs might take me. In the twenty something years that I’ve been in this business, I’ve clowned and performed Singing Telegrams in offices, Nursing Homes, Beauty Parlors, Construction Sites, Broadway theatres, Hotels, Cruise Ships, Airports, Hospitals, Police Precincts….name a profession, I’ve probably performed there!

Probably the most bizarre and awkward location was when I had to deliver a Singing Telegram in a Funeral Parlor in Forest Hills, NY. When told where I was to deliver my Singing Chicken Act, I was somewhat set back by the thought by not only singing in a Funeral parlor, but by singing in a Funeral Parlor dressed as a Chicken! What will the dead think? What will God think? Will I even be considered for heaven after this? But then I thought….”Wait a minute, if anyone needs laughter relief, its people who work in a Funeral Parlor.

It wasn’t until I saw the front of the Funeral Parlor, when it dawned on me…like 5 of my relatives had there Memorial services there, including my Grandparents on both sides of my family, 2 Aunts and an uncle, all of whom I was close to before there passing.
My contact person had me wait in the lobby for a few minutes while he talked to some teary eyed customers. He then led me to the Bereavement Room where I changed into my Chicken Costume. While I waited around for my recipient to walk in, I started feeling guilty and disrespectful for what I was about to do. Then the guilt started turning into this overwhelming thought of not being alone in the room. I silently started explaining to my dead relatives about what I was about to do, and to sit back and enjoy the show. When my recipient came in, three of his Co-workers followed him in. Although 4 people besides me were physically present in the room, I entertained a room of nine that day. The guilt I felt earlier was now buried…no pun intended!

No comments:

Post a Comment